Wednesday 17 September 2014

Favourite Video... The 1975- "Robbers"

Although being a music video that has only recently come out, I feel that this music video is in fact my favourite. This could be down the fact that it is my favourite song from their album but it is also because I love the whole storyline and how it uses some foreshadowing in the early stages of the video. It shows very realistic emotions from the actors in the video and I feel a connection when watching it.

The video is all about the lead singer of The 1975 "Matt Healy" and his relationship with Chelsea Schuchman. The video is heavily inspired by the 1933 film "True Romance", especially the character Alabama Whitman. In the video, Matty and Chelsea attempt to rob a store with the outcome not being as expected, whilst working around their love-hate relationship which is filled with continuous alcohol drinking, drug taking and sex. The drink, drugs and sex become such a huge part of the relationship that even once Matty had been shot during the attempted store robbery and they have to get home to try and save him, the pair both begin smoking drugs and begin to passionately kiss despite the casualty.

The indie rock genre which The 1975 have taken up is shown in this music video mainly through the costumes in which the actors are wearing. Matty is wearing black, ripped skinny jeans and a floral shirt which is showing off his many different indie type tattoos. This adds to his haircut which I believe to be the style for people who enjoy listening to indie rock music with long hair, whether it be all over or short on the sides and longer on top.

This video inspired me to want to originally use this song for creating my own music video, but despite my desperation for using the song there was some restrictions which prevented me from being able to actually use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment